Apostle Islands

·      Premium Nature Sounds CD's with no music or distractions

·      60 continuous minutes of relaxing Sounds of Nature with no breaks

·      Mastered and Replicated digitally for highest sound quality

·      Recorded on location in North Americas most pristine natural locations

·      No annoying music, talking or unrelated background noise

The Sand Island Light is a lighthouse located on the northern tip of Sand Island, one of the Apostle Islands, in Lake Superior in Bayfield County, Wisconsin, near the city of Bayfield.

The Lighthouse Board chose to use a design that had been used: on McGulpin Point Light in 1868; Eagle Harbor Light in 1871; and White River Light in 1875.

Thereafter, the original Fourth order Fresnel lens was replaced with a DCB-224 aero beacon manufactured by the Carlisle & Finch Company. Putting aside questions of nostalgia, aesthetics, or appreciation for the engineering of a bygone era (as exemplified by the Fresnel lens), this iteration of lighthouse illumination is itself incredibly effective, and an endangered remnant of another bygone era. More commonly, such lights have been replaced by the 300 mm Tidelands Acrylic Optic, as occurred on the neighboring Michigan Island Light.

Currently owned by the National Park Service and part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, part of reference number 77000145. Listed in the Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey, WI-313.

Attached to the lighthouse is a Norman gothic keepers quarters.

Now Playing:
Apostle Islands
CD available in US & Canada — Download MP3 file worldwide.